Monday, July 04, 2005

Jackson, Wyoming

After a whole bunch of rolling hills and potato fields we finally conquered Idaho. I entered Wyoming as bored as I could be of the Idahoian terrain, praying for something more interesting. I wanted a mountain -- not so much because I like cycling, torture, or the feeling of dizziness that can only come from high altitudes or huffing paint thinner -- but because Idaho simply got boring.
I got what I wished for.
Our 88 mile ride out of Idaho Falls started off slowly and with the wind in our face. I was feeling strong so I allowed dad to ride on my back wheel and draft off of me until our first stop. The first 60 miles provided a steady climb from 4,000 something feet to 6,000 something feet. I got up it without too much of a problem and took my time to eat a banana and reapply sun-screen. When dad made it up the hill 20 minutes later he said that he was disappointed and disheartened to learn that this wasn't the big climb of the day; Teton Pass.
I left dad at that stop, put my head down and headed towards Wyoming and Teton Pass. Crossing the state line signaled the beginning of the 6 mile, 2,400 foot climb up Tetons. After taking time to tell Idaho how I felt about it I started up the mountain and into a brand new state. Though I did envision the climb up to 8,000 something feet to be difficult, I really didn't expect it to be that hard. Most of the ride up I was in my lowest gear, grinding out the miles doing the toughest 5 mph I have ever done. To my credit, I did not get off my bike for the entire way up -- but it did take me a while.
The ride down into Jackson was mildly amusing. It was quite the downhill, I got up to about 51 mph (I would have gone faster if only the cars would have cleared out). Upon arriving in town I got a beer and a burger with some of the older guys at the only bar in town that was showing Tour de France highlights.
All-in-all it was a challenging day and not one that I would like to repeat -- but one that at least provided an interesting story.

Footnotes for July 4th:

  • People were claiming their spots along the side of the road in Idaho Falls very early in the morning for the Independence Day parade. We tried to pass off as an early morning event.
  • Nicknames for the four guys that are in their twenties have become official: Opie, T-Rex, Skidmarks, and F-Bomb.
  • Opie biked the Teton Pass twice. He is insane. He also at 16 slices of Pizza Hut Pizza for dinner.

Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home