Saturday, June 25, 2005

Baker City, Oregon

Todays ride took us from some place in Oregon to Baker City. Let me tell you, this place is happening. We came in and there was a bike race through the middle of town (much like the Clarendon Cup for those of you that know in Arlington) that I had absolutely no interest in watching. But being in spandex and carrying bikes dad and I recieved a couple of interesting comments. A young child asked me for my autograph assuming that I am a racer -- I respectfully declined. And as dad was riding away from the race area somebody told him that he was going in the wrong direction -- how uncharacteristic.
The ride itself today was challenging, but not too bad. I think that today's ride was made all the harder by the fact that yesterdays ride was so damn long, but I guess some times we just need to do 200 miles in two days. There were three big climbs today, all of them were pretty early in the ride. We got up over 5,000 feet today, and I thought that was pretty cool. The rest of the ride was downhill which made everything a lot more manageable. The last 20 miles of our 80 mile ride we did with about a 20 mph headwind -- that really killed us. But I grabbed the bull by the horns and let dad draft off of me and we got into town at a reasonable hour.

Random facts from today and yesterday:
I ran into a couple in John Day, Oregon yesterday that was from Kitchner, Ontario Canada. They were retired farmer who were traveling through America on thier way to Vancouver, BC. It was nice to hear a Canadian accent, although i found it really odd that a Canadian would find their way into John Day.
Dad went to the Railroad museum in Sumpter -- I passed. On his way out he saw a bull mount a cow and thought it was so funny that he told me about it when we ran into each other about a half hour later. I only wished that he got a picture.
Tomorrow we go to Ontario, Oregon; our last night in Oregon and our first night in Mountain time.

That is it for now.
Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home