Monday, June 27, 2005

Day 8: Ontario, Oregon to Boise, Idaho

I nearly cracked yesterday.
Our ride into Ontario was not particularly hard nor was it particularly stressful, but the weight of this whole ride really started to get me down. There is something to be said for the merits of our ride and for the intrinsic value that cycling provides many people -- but biking for 7 weeks is hard. We have done about 600 miles so far, over mountains, through deserts, in the rain and in the heat; every day we get up and ride. 600 miles! That is more than I have biked in the last two years combined! And we still have 3,000 miles and lord knows how many states to go.
The good news is that I think that I am really getting the hang of this whole biking thing. I feel better and stronger every day. The pain in my knees is becoming more manageable, and I am learning to live with the aches in my legs.

Riding today into Boise was interesting. It was raining on us all day, but it was a light rain. For the most part I don't have a problem riding in rain if in fact you are only getting wet from above. But tires tend to kick up water and everything else that is on the pavement when the surfaces are wet. This means that your rear wheel will be essentially upchucking water, dirt and lord knows what else on your back side (giving the appearance of poo stains on your shorts and the back of your jersey). This also means that when you ride behind another cyclist that same crap is flying up in your face.
Other than the rain and the crap associated with the rain, the ride was pretty uneventful. We got into Boise early and got lunch at a place that was far too upscale for a group of wet cyclists. They took their time getting us our food, but let me tell you that the pesto pizza was worth it. Those sun dried tomatoes were perfect!
Now we are in a nice hotel where we can relax for a day and let our muscles recover from 8 days of torture. I am looking forward to the massage that I am going to make dad pay for.
Oh, I did a radio interview today after I got in to the hotel for AM 580 KIDO. I told them all about our ride and how the people of Boise can help us out. If any of you are in the Boise area and are listening to AM radio tomorrow morning you may just hear me.

Okay. Time for dinner.
Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home