Thursday, June 30, 2005

Twin Falls, Idaho



There was a movie that came out a few years ago that was titled Twin Falls, Idaho, that was a decent film. It was an independent film about conjoined twins. I bet there was some kind of love interest and I would also bet that one of the twins died... but needless to say, I don't remember much about the movie. So I guess that I arrived here with some expectations -- mainly I wanted to see some siamese twins walking the streets. That didn't happen.

It was a 97 mile day that started early. We got a good breakfast and hit the road before it got hot. The ride was pretty uneventful; there were mountains, mesas, endless fields of agriculture, cows, horses, and long straight roads. There was a gentle headwind for most of the ride which meant that I had to ride in front so dad could draft off of me. I figured that I owed him for all those years that he pulled me in that carriage behind his bike (he only flipped it once that I remember). There are times when I feel like I could become the cyclist equivalent of a Sherpa for him if I don't force him to ride in front more often.
Our approach into Twin Falls was quite nice. This city seems to have canyons to buttress it that are quite spectacular. At the bottom of the one that we saw coming into town there was a golf course that I bet is just a blast to play. But once you cross the canyon and enter Twin Falls much of the charm that was accumulated disappears with the sighting of countless fast food joints, car dealerships, and chain hotels. It disappoints me to see how otherwise interesting places are rendered unidentifiable against the back drop of homogeneous corporations. But that is America, today. At least we can get internet anywhere... so I guess it isn't all bad.

Footnotes for June 30th:

  • I saw at least a dozen dead rabbits in the road today. Those things must be particularly dumb.
  • While walking to dinner at the Country Kitchen Buffet I marveled at a woman driving a early 1980s Pontiac Firebird. This would have been mildly amusing in and of itself, but what made it noteworthy was the fact that she was listening to the song Hot Blooded by Foreigner. I could not tell whether she had a mullet.
  • I was given a mangled Idaho license plate today by one of the riders, Bob. Two states down, a bunch to go.
  • We passed an Equine Dentistry Academy today. I am on to you Dr. Rosenberg.
  • Tomorrow we are scheduled to bike less than 40 miles. Yeah!

Paul

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Len and Paul--all of us at PIH are following this quite closely and with a great deal of gratitude. Looking forward to seeing you toward the end of this journey--and thanks for spreading the word about PIH. Our patients will greatly benefit from this ride.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home