Friday, June 24, 2005

Day 5: A very long ride


This will be the tersest post ever. Both Paul and I are exhausted. We cycled 117 miles from Prineville to John Day, OR. The ride was drop dead gorgeous. We climbed a mountain and then descended for many miles through gorgeous high desert/Ponderosa. Every turn revealed a startling tableau of colors and shapes. Then we climbed another mountain, and maybe one more after that. It started very chilly, but turned pretty hot after 30 miles or so. I emptied my camelback (half-gallon water bag) four times, and actually had to stop one of the sag wagons to get a refill so I could make it to the SAG stop without running out.

Paul had to get back to our hotel by 4pm to contact a radio person in Boise, so he road on ahead. I stopped for lunch because I didn't think I could make the ride without refueling. Paul finished around 3:45; I did at 5. We had tail winds for the last 30 miles and were able to average about 20 mph despite a general uphill grade. We felt great until we had a chance to take stock of our physical condition. Paul was preparing to ice both knees when I returned to the hotel. I had to ice my feet.

The Cliff's Notes version of today was that it was a great challenge, but worth it. (We may reevaluate tomorrow.) The best picture is on this page. Others from days 0-5 are in a photo album I posted at OFOTO. Here is the link: http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=97van5jj.752b9lgr&Uy=-ewpwk2&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0 . I'm pretty sure that it is benign. (It is run by Kodak and Adobe. They want you to buy prints, but you can look without buying anything, or even identifying yourself.) I will try to label the pictures when I have more time and energy. They are arranged in chronological order, with day 0 (Astoria, and some beach footage with Kim beforehand) first.

Cheers,

Len

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not even on the ride and I'm ready for some time in the van. Thanks for taking the time to record your accomplishments in the blog--your loyal fans want to know how you are doing. I am waiting for Liz's daily conversion of your trip distance into centimeters on her map. Cheers!! David

1:17 PM  
Blogger Len Burman said...

Those centimeters definitely take their toll. I don't think I was ever so unhappy to hear my alarm clock as at 5:30am this morning (after the 117 mile day yesterday). We climbed over three mountain passes. It was beautiful. Whatever. Tonight we get to sleep.

Tomorrow is our last day in Oregon, which turns out to be a really big state. I hope to feel much stronger in Idaho.

Thanks for your note.

Len

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home