Thursday, August 04, 2005

Little Falls, New York

I broke my sandals three days ago and I have yet to find a place that will sell me a suitable replacement. When I look for sandals I look for something cheap and something that fits -- I don't want any Birkenstocks or Tevas or anything special, just run of the mill flip flops. So why can't I find them in any of the towns where we stay? Oddly enough, we seem to find the only hotels in all of New York that are no where near a Target or a Wal-Mart or an Old Navy and the local stores around here only carry flip-flop sandals sized for little girls. So I have been walking around barefoot a lot recently. Dad worries about disease and scrapes and stuff, but I figure that all risks are acceptable as long as I don't have to lace up a pair of shoes.
Today's ride was hot and humid. We got a nice and early start on the day and I pounded out about 40 miles before it got really hot. The rest of the ride was just ungodly. The roads were hardly rideable, the traffic was a nuisance, and it was just so darn hot. But in spite of all that, I really didn't mind it all that much. This is what I get for being so down on biking for so long -- when the conditions actually turn crappy, it can't phase me. It is always just biking for me, and it is never really all that much fun. Sort of like a job, I just get up and ride, and maybe something funny will happen along the way. Dad, on the other hand, really hates days like today. I think that biking in weather like this bothers him more than he will let on in his blogs.

So I have been seeing a lot of cool cars recently, Cameros, Monte Carlos, Firebirds, Thunderbirds, Mustangs, Berettas, and Corvettes. Yeah, one of the few things that all American rednecks have in common is a love of cars from the 1970s and 1980s. Some people calls the cars "dirt mobiles," I just call them awesome. I go to sleep at night and imagine myself in a 1983 Chevy Camero wearing a cut-up mesh shirt, blaring my 8-track version of Double Vision by Foreigner.

Anyway, it is time to consume fluids.

Rock it.
Paul

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, ##NAME##, Well, what d'you know, that's quite a blog. Good stuff! See you around, Rex ##LINK##

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, This is the first time I've seen your blog - pretty cool. I find this whole blogging thing pretty amazing. So many, and such good stuff. Mind you, cars, horsepower, speed and roadholding are my main thing which is why I was looking for ##LINK##, but it was good to see your blog. Keep blogging!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home