Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Syracuse, New York

I am not sure if we are actually in Syracuse right now, or if we are simply in a crap hole inbetween farms and suburbs. Our hotel is pleasantly located in the trucking / factory district of Syracuse -- there are no resturants, bars, or any other signs of conventional civilization (like Wal-mart) anywhere near our hotel.
As you may have read in dad's blog from yesterday, I did have a little bit of a spill. I like to call it the "Burman-drainage ditch conflict of 2005." I was biking strong at about 18 to 20 mph when I lost my concentration for just a second, which is apparently all it takes for a bike to veer off the road and into a drainage ditch. While my bike went into the ditch, I went vertically down onto the pavement. My left hand hit the ground first and then my left side hit -- it was kind of like I was making a head first slide into second base -- it was at that point I realized that I should have been paying attention. I slid for a bit, came to a stop, and was suddenly amazed that I was not hurt more than I was. After spraying my wounds with a water bottle and readjusting my brakes (which had been bent 45 degrees to the left), I was on the road again. My riding partner, Sierra, thought this was all very funny.

Later that evening Dad and I were doing an interview for the local Fox television station. That whole situation went as you may imagine it would, but with one little twist. As dad was giving his interview, the other Paul (T-Rex) walked behind him to moon me. While mooning me both dad and the reporter turned around -- we all got a good laugh out of that.

Today's ride went without a hitch. There was an option to ride along side the Erie Canal for a few miles, but I decided that I didn't want to do that (dad did it and said it was wonderful). For the first time on the whole ride (3,150 miles) I was the first person to the first SAG stop. It was a small accomplishment, yet something that I needed to do. The day turned sultry very quickly, and both dad and I were very sweaty upon arriving at the hotel.

I did another interview at the hotel in Syracuse. This time T-Rex mooned me while still on his bicycle. Hilarious.

Rock it.

Paul

Footnotes for August 3rd:
  • We are in an area of America with exceptionally good Pizza. That is a huge plus.
  • Be a good citizen and please pay you taxes in a timely manner and support initiatives that will help improve local roads. Biking on roads with potholes and other obstacles sucks.
  • Only 382 miles until we hit the Ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home