Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Mount Pleasant, Michigan

We finally made it to eastern standard time and what do we get? Rain. Yeah, it was a wet day in Michigan for our last century, but I guess the positive spin on all this is that the rain kept everything cool temperature wise.
The ride was long and boring. We traversed our way through the woods on roads that we less than optimal, but passable none the less. The hills rolled gently and the wind was at our backs for most of the trip, allowing the faster riders to keep up a torrid pace.
At some middle point of our ride a detour was recommended by the Michigan Department of Trasportation. The sign in the road clearly read "ROAD OUT DETOUR -->"... this did not faze me. I bravely defied the sign and road on the torn up road, narrowly avoiding the dangerous obstacles of dirt, rocks, construction workers, and heavy machinery. Coming out unscathed and still relatively clean, I felt pretty smart. Dad, on the other hand, took the detour less traveled. I am not sure how exactly he did this, but apparently he ended up biking over more treacherous roads, eventually causing his spoke to snap free from his wheel. (chuckle chuckle chuckle).
This was the final ride that we had to do that was over 100 miles and I could not be happier. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the rest of the trip will be easy from a physical standpoint. I am guessing that bicycling will get harder once again when we hit mountains again... but that isn't for a long time. Yeah!
Okay, that is all. Time to mentally prepare myself for the next buffet.

Footnotes for July 26th:
  • I arrived in the hotel today two and a half hours before dad. He will cite excuses like "a broken spoke," or "I stopped for lunch," but we all know what is up.
  • Eastern standard time is great. There is something dirty about the central time zones -- they really do rub me the wrong way.
  • We will be in Canada soon and I am very excited to drink some Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale.
  • I saw a fox today, alive and with something in it's mouth.
  • There is a cute girl working the desk here at our hotel -- I am going to try to make guest of the day... again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home