Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Pierre, South Dakota

For some odd reason the people of Pierre do not pronounce Pierre the way that most would -- in South Dakota it is pronounced Peer. I think that there must be some kind of stigma to having a state capital with a foreign sounding name, but come on. If they wanted a patriotic sounding name for their capital they could have named the place Freedom, or Liberty. That would have worked.
We were in Wall, South Dakota yesterday. Though there was nothing out there other than road kill, there was the world famous Wall Drug. Yeah, it was pretty cool, it had a lot of crap that could be construed as cute, witty, and/or novel. Dad and I wandered around Wall Drug for a while and I stared vacantly at the tourists that were video taping their time at Wall Drug wondering when in the hell would anyone want to watch that family vacation film.
After Wall Drug got boring, dad and I went across the street for a bite to eat. Dad asked the waitress what people did in Wall, South Dakota for fun -- she succinctly responded, "we get drunk a lot." Good call.
The 117 mile ride from Wall to Pierre was pretty stupid. There was wind in our face the entire time. But at least the wind kept the temperature down. The highlight of my trip took place about 55 miles into the ride, Paul and I stopped to harass some horses that were watching us bike. I tried to pet the horses, but they didn't seem to like me too much -- so I mooned the mares. Luckily Paul got a picture of it. He said that his camera takes pictures at such high resolution that I could turn that shot into a poster. I hope to have the picture posted soon.

Rock it,
Paul

Footnotes for July 13th:
  • I signed up for classes yesterday and it looks like I will be able to graduate next year. I probably would have forgotten to do so if it wasn't for a good friend of mine sending me an email. Thank you Brian.
  • Today we crossed the Missouri River and we are now in Central Time. I guess that is worth mentioning.
  • We also hit the halfway point in our ride today. 1,767 miles down, a whole bunch to go.
  • A girl working at a Pierre McDonald's asked for my autograph. Maybe this is how Dakotans flirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home